N&W and VGN in 1911--Iron ore and limestone at Narrows

Mon Nov 22 23:25:21 EST 2010

Not being picky Ed, but it is Angel's Rest, so named because of a legendary
descent of an angel to the top of the mountain.   Jim Nichols

Gordon,
If I recall from Boy Scout hiking trips that this cavern was on Angle’s Rest
(the name of the mountain between Narrows and Pearisburg). We never attempted to
go down into the caverns but I recall the opening and being told stories about
all that went on there when the caverns were open.  Your pictures are amazing.
Thanks for sharing them.

Ed Painter – Narrows, VA currently living in Russellville, VA