Welded Rail

Mon Nov 29 22:27:25 EST 2010

They went from the crossings to laying "78"s in the sharper curves.

EdKing

Sent: Monday, November 29, 2010 5:10 PM
To: nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org
Subject: Re: Welded Rail

One Magazine article that I do remember reading told how the N&W was welding two 39-foot rails into 78-foot rails to eliminate one-half of the joints. I think this was probably preliminary to the first installation of longer strings of welded rail.

Gordon Hamilton
Many roads installed 78-foot sections in road crossings to avoid "pumping" caused
by vehicular traffic. The 78-foot sections were usually "field" welded on the spot.
Harry Bundy