Thu Dec 9 06:59:59 EST 2010

Last night, on the day after Pearl Harbor Day this year, I had the pleasure
of "Takin' Twenty" with nine of the Brethren and Friends of the Virginian
Railway. There was talk of "Remember Pearl Harbor" since all of the
Brethren either fought in WWII or worked during it. Bill Spencer even
served in occupied Japan after the surrender. All agree with those
historians who say that the A-Bomb saved many American lives and a canvas
of the parking lot of the Brethren's vehicles showed no Japanese
cars...only Fords, Buicks and Cadillacs.

From last week, I got a response from Kevin EuDaly, editor and printer of
the N&W (and VGN) Historical Society's prestigious magazine "The Arrow".
Kevin lives in Kansas City and responded "I 'bagged' a deer about three
weeks ago with my Explorer. Though the deer experienced major damage (i. e.
death), the Explorer only would up with the front facia cracked in several
places and the license plate bent. I was on my way duck hunting, so your
report and recent events here 'out west' make it seem the stars are aligned
somehow".

I passed around a photo from railpictures that the Brethren especially
enjoyed. It is a 1970 Tom Sink photo of a coal train crossing New River on
the high bridge (east end)at Glen Lyn, VA pulled by two SDs one GP and an
RS11 and the train is reflected in the river. To view go to:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=346414

Also passed around was the latest "NS Biz" which is mostly about the
finishing of the Heartland Corridor tunnel project. One interesting photo
was of a "High/Wide" load detector now in service by NS. This prompted me
to tell the Brethren about an incident in 1964 when I was an apprentice
electrician serving in the Armature Room in Roanoke Shops. We were asked to
make a device using Selson motors hooked to a long arm to measure the
heights of auto racks after one incident where several loads of Buicks were
turned into convertibles... There was a discussion about TOFC and COFC, but
the Brethren remember no such cars ever seen on the VGN.

The Jewel from the Past is from December 8, 2004: "A discussion of the
heating of the yard office brought out that before the Safety Department
was created, sometime in the late '40s, clerks would have to 'obtain fuel
for heat from yarded coal hoppers'. When C. W. Dowdy was made VGN
Superintendent of Safety, he stopped this dangerous practice and required
that a coal supply be placed at each office. The clerks would sometimes
still 'shop from the hoppers' for better lump coal. 'Slick' Inge remembered
that at Glen Rogers, a hard coal was mined that 'burned like oil'. He said
that sometimes conductors would spot the 'hard coal' next to their cabooses
so that the 'possum bellies' could be filled with something besides
knuckles. 'Possum bellies' is a term used for the under body storage boxes
that knuckles and some tools were stored on the cabs".

From last week and the question about who the famous person was that made
many movies but only one TV commercial for "Southern Maid" doughnuts, the
answer is Elvis. Landon Gregory answered this one when I gave the Brethren
a hint: He passed through Roanoke twice on N&W passenger trains going and
coming from the service. Landon happened to be in the Roanoke Passenger
Station at the time.

I reminded the Brethren about the Candy Cane Shifter with free train rides
this Saturday at the old Viscose, Silk Mill, lead track. The event is from
9AM top 4PM. We will give a great door prize of a
Athearn train set and Santa will be on the observation car taking kids
orders for toys.....Come by if you can.

The ebay report this time includes the following VGN items sold: 1937
Public Timetable for $16.29; VGN cast iron brake lever diagram plate for
$46.67; and a builder's photo of #100 Squarehead for $16.49.

Frank Breedlove has not attended one of our sessions for a while and had a
lot to tell last night. He told of swapping one double barrel shot gun for
a boat, trailer with new tires and new battery, and two boat motors. One of
the Brethren said "that wasn't a trade but a robbery". Frank is one to pass
on good jokes and last night he was "wound up". He told of an Indian who
rode a train and ordered a ham sandwich from the dining car. When the
sandwich came, he raised the bread and observed a very thin slice of ham.
He inquired of the waiter "Who slice ham?". The waiter answered "the cook".
The Indian replied "tell him he almost missed!". My favorite was the one he
told about the drunk well digger who dug a well that was so crooked that he
"fell out"!.

Time to pull the pin on this one!

Departing Now from V248,

Skip Salmon