Structure at Pembroke, VA (NW Mailing List)

Wed Dec 29 12:32:31 EST 2010

Pages 164 vand 165 of August Thieme's "The N&W - As I Knew It" show two
photos of an 040T numbered 3 and lettered "Pembroke Limestone Corp" and
"B.M.F.C.". You can see smaller versions of the photos here;
http://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=43147
http://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=43148

"BMFC" appears to stand for Boxley Materials <Something> Company, as
the Boxley website claims the Pembroke Limestone Company was the their
second quarry, that by 1916 it was their largest. It also states "A sand
plant and rock dust plant was added in 1941 at Pembroke." See:
http://www.boxley.com/about/history.html

Seaching the archives, I found one item described as "Work train at
Pembroke Limestone Company's quarries in 1916", in NW Magazine Vol 14
No 5 P 176 and dates 05/01/1936. I don't know if it shows the concrete
structure, if it even existed that early, or was perhaps part of the
1941 additions.

Joe Shaw
Christiansburg, VA
http://www.krunk.org/