A Question - Shomo/Vardo

Sat Jan 15 20:03:47 EST 2011

The name "Shomo" comes from the name of an official with the construction
company which built the yard. The source for this information is the N&W
Employee magazine, (about year 1960 I believe). A retiring N&W employee was
passing along this in his remembrances. As for "Vardo", N&W had a train
order station at Downsville Pike. Nothing fancy, not much more than a
(shack). F.Y.I. the map of the yard in the N&W Archives shows a retired
boxcar at this location. Anyway PRR administered the yard in those days.
PRR/PC crews called the yard "Shomo", N&W crews always called it "Vardo".

Mason Cooper