DPU trains (was Re: Thunder on Blue Ridge)

Sun Jan 16 19:11:47 EST 2011

> Are you all referring to DPU's as remote control or controlled by a crew

> in the locomotive.

I am refering to Distributed Power Units, which by its very definition
implies remotely controled. I am not talking about manned (and thus
manually operated) pushers/helpers.

> The old WV law on the H-town District did not permit remote control

> units in their state.

Can someone provide a specific reference to this alledged "law"?

When this subject has come up in the past on other lists/forums (and
matybe this one too), this law is always mentioned along with other
people claiming there was no such law and providing other explanations
(policy change implemented after an upper management change, etc.).
But everything I've ever seen -- on both sides of the discussion -- has
been nothing but supposition and hear-say. I have never seen anyone
provide a definitive answer. Hopefully someone on this list can.

Thanks,

Joe Shaw
Christiansburg, VA
http://www.krunk.org/