DPU trains (was Re: Thunder on Blue Ridge)

Tue Jan 18 11:05:08 EST 2011

"Every time I have seen a stack train it seemed to be moving faster than other trains. I had assumed that terminal time would be small on this segment, since Bristol is the only terminal and stack trains are not switched there."
Ray,
Stack and rack trains generally have a higher speed limit than regular freight and coal trains. However, this is determined by territory. On our end, the speed doesn't increase until we get out of "Concrete". Delays at terminals can mount up when the terminal gets choked up. Sometimes the "Hot Shots" come in one behind the other and one has just to wait his turn.
Just as airlines have a delay here that compounds a delay there, it can ghappen anywhere. Breakdowns or troubles with other trains in a terminal can really delay things all around.

"With regard to meets, I assume stack trains are generally given priority and other trains would be "put in the hole" to keep the stack trains moving."

Again, that generally is the case. In a case this week, the C&O 614 was restricted to the mainline on its ferry move down the Valley. So 202 had to go through the siding at Glasgow around the 614. Other things can contribute to stack trains taking the siding but for the most part the dispatchers try to keep them on the main.

On the subject of trucks, factor in rest times for the drivers, traffic delays and such and the average speeds of trucks start to fall.

Jimmy Lisle