C&O in 1911--N&W also?

Wed Jan 19 09:16:02 EST 2011

The dirt road that ran in front of my Great Grandfather Allison's farm near Draper in Pulaski County (VA) was sprayed regularily during the summer. In the 1950s and 60s. I would stay there during the summers with my Grandmother and Great Aunts....when the road dust became bad they would call the Highway Dept. They would come and spray the road with oil.

Ed Painter Narrows VA living currently in AR

Sent: Wed Jan 19 08:52:18 2011
Subject: Re: C&O in 1911--N&W also?

There wasn't an EPA in those days. EPA dates from the 1970s. (You were kidding, I know) I remember seeing road crews spraying oil for dust control on gravel roads in Mississippi in the 60s when I visited my grandparents there. Don't ever recall seeing it done in Virginia in the mountain counties where I was raised. Might have happened down in the flatlands

John Samples