Virginian in 1911--Elks

Mon Jan 24 22:06:15 EST 2011

Bluefield Daily Telegraph
June 11, 1911

IN CITY AND COALFIELD
------
Elks to Travel on Virginian
The committee from the local lodge, B. P. O. E., that has had in charge the arrangements for the trip to Atlantic City to attend the annual meeting of the grand lodge to be held there on July 8th, have closed a contract with the Virginian railway for transportation to Norfolk. The Bluefield party, sixty to sixty-five strong, will go by automobile to Princeton where they will take [a] train for Norfolk. The trip from Norfolk to Baltimore will be by boat, and thence to Atlantic City by rail.
------
[It's interesting that the group would travel to Princeton to take a Virginian train instead of taking an N&W train directly out of Bluefield. Apparently the novelty of riding the two-year-old Virginian played some role in the decision. Also, there were only a handful of automobiles in Bluefield at the time whereas it would take at least ten horseless carriages to take the party to Princeton. The road was fairly rough then, and it would be another five years before the electric interurban line would be completed between the two cities. Also, I wonder about the return trip arrangements. I suspect they returned directly to Bluefield on the N&W.]

Gordon Hamilton