N&W in 1911--Depot wanted

Wed Feb 9 15:49:38 EST 2011

There is a follow-up article which will appear on the Mailing List in a few days mentioning again the need for the depot at Hockman, and mentioning that there was not even a shelter for people wanting to get on the passenger trains, so this indicates that Hockman must have been a flag stop.

The N&W Clinch Valley passenger timetable in the 1915 Official Guide does not list Hockman, or anything else between Graham and Tip Top, but, curiously, the Index of Railway Stations in the back of the Guide does list Hockman, Va., as being on the N&W! I'll try to remember to check some vintage operating timetables at the monthly Archives session this week to see if Hockman is listed. In any event, I'm not aware that a depot was ever built there.

As has been pointed out by Dave Phelps, the apparent location of Hockman was in what is called West Graham. Beginning in July 1904 there was a streetcar line from Bluefield, WV, as far as Morton Street (present-day S. College Avenue) in downtown Graham, but the streetcar line between Morton Street and West Graham was not constructed until 1921 or 1922, even though newspaper articles as early as 1911 were advocating such a line. So in 1911 West Graham would have been a bit isolated from Graham proper.

Gordon Hamilton