Thu Feb 10 08:32:50 EST 2011

Last night I had the pleasure of "Takin' Twenty" with eight of the
Brethren and Friends of the Virginian Railway. There was a weather
forecast of snow, so some stayed home.

Passed around for the Brethren to peruse were the N&W (and VGN)
Historical Society magazine "The Arrow" and their "The Commissary" a
catalogue with many Virginian Railway sale items, books, CDs, and other
rail materials. Also passed around were the latest "NRHS Bulletin" and
"NRHS News"

The Jewel from the Past is from January 27, 2005: "Jimmy Whittaker
remembered starting with the VGN in 1950 and his daily pay was $9.99. He
was going to high school at the time and worked the swing shift,
daylight Saturday and Sunday; second shift Monday and Tuesday; and
midnight on Wednesday, and graduated from Jefferson High School while
"calling" crews for the VGN. 'Slim' Sowder also remembered that back
then 'there were no holidays and it never rained or snowed on the
railroad'. They recalled in 1955 when the VGN went to a 5-day work week,
a lot of the 'old timers' didn't see how they could make it, but with
the increase in daily pay, they made out OK. 'Slick' Inge remembered
that at the Navy Yard near Sewell's Point, during the war, help was hard
to keep, so a paymaster paid off every day in cash and usually in $2
bills. He said some days a whole crew would get paid and their lanterns
would be collected the next day, when they went over to the Navy Yards
for higher pay.

Passed also was a list of the ex-VGN FM Trainmasters that were converted
to N&W "Slugs" with their new numbers. I was also able to show the
Brethren an original VGN EL-2B "Operators Manual". The 6800 HP EL-2Bs
were numbered EL-37 and 38 as #125; EL 39 and 40 as #126; EL 41 and 42
as #127 and EL 43 and 44 as #128. These 150'8" streamliners were 15'6"
tall with the pantographs down and weighed 500 tons. They had 38 notches
(now diesels have 8) in the controller and they had a separate
Excitation Handle controlling traction and dynamic
braking(regenerative). These giants also had an elaborate system of
traction motor cut-outs that the N&W never had on GP and SD units.

famous VGN wreck location, west of the Hardy tunnel in 1933, I say yes,
it would make a great addition to this site. Also you can still reach
the spot where the VGN had a Station in Hardy, VA. It is about 8 miles
east of Roanoke on State Route 24. Watch for "Old Station Road" and take
a right and go under a short rail trestle. An immediate left past the
trestle will take you to the spot of the station. Several years ago I
was asked by Greg Elam if I could take him to the site of the wreck.
Greg's grandfather, Marshall "Motorcar" Foor was the fireman on VGN MC
2-8-2 #472 and stayed aboard, and survived the crash into a big rock
west of the tunnel. I took Greg and Aubrey Wiley to the tunnel and
crossed the private property of a friend of mine to the sight of the
wreck. When Greg saw the scar on the bank of the Roanoke River where his
grandfather survived, it was a very emotional event for him and myself.
To see a photo I took that day of the Hardy tunnel, go to:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=96219
Greg is the caretaker of the VGN caboose #342 and low gon at the
Victoria Rail Park. Aubrey has an account of the wreck with photos on
his web site.

For "Show and Tell" Landon Gregory brought a silver spoon and knife
marked "VIRGINIAN" that a friend of his gave him. What a friend! If any
of you happen to have a fork marked similarly, please respond to Landon
so he will have a set. Any plates, cups, butter pats, saucers, other
silver marked for our fallen flag out there????

This Saturday at the Virginia Museum of Transportation will be "Trains
Lover Saturday". Rail artist Andrew Fletcher from California will be
there and the Roanoke Valley Model Engineers HO Club will have an open
house. They have a layout in the basement of the VMT and this is one of
the rare times that the public is invited to observe their operations.
The entrance fee Saturday has been lowered to $5 and the gift shop is
offering a 15% discount.

I have been asked why I close each of these reports with "Departing Now
from V248". The Whitethorne District milepost #248 is the closest old
VGN milepost to my home, so I close with this. It is located just under
the Peters Creek bridge that crosses the old VGN north of Lee Highway,
Brandon Ave. I have posted a photo on this site under "Skip's Photos"
that I took last Saturday of an NS coal train approaching MP V248. This
train had about 100 "Top Gons" similar to the thousands of coal cars
that have already rolled past this very spot marked "VIRGINIAN"...

Time to pull the pin on this one!

Departing Now from V248,

Skip Salmon