Pokey engineers

Fri Feb 18 13:47:59 EST 2011

Story told to me about my friend G.S. Flower, pokey engineer, late 40 to early 80's;
In the early 50's the Sheriff dept. and Virginia Highway patrol had adapted a new traffic tool, the radar speed check system. Flower, who was a nuisance to the Tazewell Sheriff, had a repetition for a heavy throttle hand and was clocked going through North Tazewell Depot , freight in tow, at 45 MPH. I assume that the first ever speeding ticket for a Rail Road Engineer was sent to the Bluefield division office.

Gene A.