Commissary Questions

Wed Feb 23 08:01:56 EST 2011

Jim,

Mason's new book is scheduled to go to the printers in April 2011. It has been offered at a pre-pub price to generate part of the money required for printing.

The society hasn't produced an original publication in some time because NWHS members or others have not written or offered books to the NWHS to publish. After Mason's book goes to print, we expect to announce another new publication in the April/May time frame for pre-sale with a printing date for mid-to-late summer. NWHS only prints books associated with N&W/VGN so that limits what we take on.

I am aware of at least two other N&W books in the preparation stage.

Book covers are designed to be attention grabbing and are a collaboration between the author, the NWHS publications committee, and the graphic artist working on the book. We look at 3 or 4 choices with respect to pictures, fonts and color and make a selection. Since we are attempting to establish NWHS as a quality publication house we have decided that we want our book covers to be have a version of Tuscan red as the background.

With regard to cover pictures, color pictures, which are dramatic, of the Pocahontas Division are hard to find. We selected one that shouts N&W and it is on the Pocahontas Division. The fact that it is an excursion picture is irrelevant.

The only revenue source the NWHS has outside of membership is books and models. Books are offered for pre-publicatiion to generate money for printing, not to offer tremendous discounts to members or others. The discount is a minor incentive as members get a discount once published, but is a major help to the NWHS to defray upfront printing costs.

Even though I have been working with Mason's book for sometime, I have still bought a copy at the pre-pub price to both own the book and help the NWHS out.

Since I became publications chairman, the NWHS does not offer items we don't intend to produce. If we offer it you don't have to "hope" it will be produced. We set a shipment date in the pre-sub sales flyer that will be met. The pre-print work on Mason's book was completed in December 2010. We have held the book back from printing so we could introduce it at the 2011 convention.

Alex Schust
NWHS publications Chairman

Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 7:26 AM
Subject: Commissary Questions

I note in reviewing the latest Commissary there is no longer a break down of decals by mfg; all are listed as property of Model Railroad Services Decals; has this firm purchased the other mfg's stock? What's up here?

Also, I note the "pre-pub" offering of Mason's new book; am I correct that members only save $2.00 between pre-pub and member's regular pricing? Since the Society hasn't produced an original publication since the Thieme book, this isn't much incentive to fork out $ now and hope the book is actually printed.

And regarding the book, please forgive me, but why is there an excursion picture used on the front cover? Just wondering.

Jim Brewer