Thu Feb 24 08:20:42 EST 2011

Last night I had the pleasure of "Takin' Twenty" with ten of the
Brethren and Friends of the Virginian Railway. We signed a Happy
Birthday Card for Bill Turner, VGN brakeman and conductor. Bill started
on the N&W October, 1950, and after the Korean Conflict was over, signed
on with the VGN in August, 1957. He retired from NS, December, 1991, and
will turn 79 tomorrow.

I passed around a flyer for the Roanoke Chapter NRHS Spring Excursion
trip from Roanoke by bus to Lynchburg, and Amtrak to Washington DC for a
five-hour layover, and return, on April 20, 2011. Their web site has all
the details of this trip. Speaking of the Roanoke Chapter NRHS, at our
annual dinner meeting last week, those who did not get a 2011 NS
Calendar at the January meeting were given one. There was one left, so I
brought it to our meeting last night and had a raffle and the winner was
Ken McLain. At that meeting, Jeff Sanders remembered those who took the
west bound last year, and mentioned VGN Trainmaster Rufus Wingfield.
Also passed last night was a poem given to me by the VGN Station
Renovation Architect, Barry Rakes. It was given to him by Mrs. R. W.
Smiley, widow of an engineer known by Wis Sowder and several of the
Brethren. The poem contained the following verse: "Also that amazing
tale when old Captain Barger left Oakvale, on board two experts at many
games, none other than Frank and Jesse James".

The Jewel from the Past is from February 10, 2005: "I showed the
Brethren the email from Doug Harris of Auckland, New Zealand who saw
Russell Inge's photo that I posted and said 'Please tell Slick his fame
has reached New Zealand'. Of course this got a lot of 'hoots and
hollars' and jokes about unusual animals that live in New Zealand and
how Slick would fit right in there". Note: After the recent earthquake
in New Zealand, I emailed our good friend Doug Harris and asked if he
was OK. I got a response last night: "I'm way out of the quake area, but
know some modelers in Christchurch. It's about 2 hours flying time south
of here...about 20 people were killed in the Cathedral which has
collapsed, and the current death toll is put at 75 with around 300 missing".

Passed around was the latest issue of "Classic Trains" with several
stories about the N&W. Also passed was a photo I took last Saturday of
an eastbound coal train on the old VGN. Highlighted in the photo was
milepost V251, just west of the Salem Connection and the old VGN Station
location. Another photo passed was of the new replica of the passenger
shelter that sat at Nutbush, now an exhibit at Greg Elam's Victoria Rail
Park. Greg had the nearby Lunenburg Correctional Center manufacture and
donate this fine example of VGN "shelterdum"...

For "Show and Tell" I brought my friend John McDaniel's EL-2b
Maintenance Manual. This inch thick VGN manual gives instructions as
well as photos on how to maintain the streamliners. Items of interest
include: "1. Every 120,000 miles, the EL-2b windshield wipers were to be
removed, cleaned and oiled with automobile machine oil; 2. Before every
trip, the pantograph collector wear shoes were to be lubed with graphite
grease (Dixon 1924 or equivalent) and 3. The Controller Drum segments,
after every 30,000 miles were to be cleaned and lubricated with Vaseline".

From last week, Daniel Winter III corrected me with the peanut plant at
Suffolk being Birdsong (not Bird Song). Dave Phelps, who is retired from
the GE plant in Erie PA corrected my reference to the old diesel
switcher VGN #6 as being an "Alco-GE". It was 100% "just GE". I got my
information from the Harold A. Reid book. (Harold A. made any miscues in
the book; H. made none). Landon Gregory and Raymond East, who worked
with the peanut trains and plants in Suffolk, said that yes, every fall
there was a run on good clean box cars for the plants. Landon said that
he had orders to not let any box cars with lime in them "any where near
Planters".

The ebay report this time includes the following VGN items sold: Early
1900 Tidewater RY documents sold for $360.69; Slide of VGN Trainmaster
and 4-6-2 meet for $47.79; "V. Ry" Adlake #185 lantern for $489.07; 23
Blackhawk Color Slides for $24.99; EL-C Operating Manual for $92.99;
Operating Manual for F-M Trainmaster for $74.99 and a layout of Elmore
Yard for $26.00.

Finally, Richard Shell wrote me when he recognized Benny F. Sammons in
the two Landon Gregory story. He recalled an incident with him and Benny
that involved brokering goats, Fred and Willie, and hauling them in the
back of a Firebird. Seems that the goats got away and were lured back
with Corn Pops. He got them home only to have them escape the day before
hunting season opened in Botetourt County. Richard lives not far from
Lithia, VA, on the N&W. A fellow told me once that in that part of the
county, in the dog days of summer, mosquitos get so big that "they have
their own ticks".

Time to pull the pin on this one!

Departing Now from V248,

Skip Salmon