Trash containers

Fri Feb 25 18:52:20 EST 2011

I could be wrong, but I don't think the ex-CoalTainers are going to Bradshaw. To the best of my knowledge, the Smith Gap Landfill is for use only by the City of Roanoke and Roanoke County. The Waste Line Express, operated over NS from the transfer station on Hollins Rd., just east of the former East Roanoke Shops, carries county and city waste Monday through Friday to the landfill.

As Gordon mentioned, the WLE cars are  emptied by by a rotary dumper. I know of no other means of emptying any other type of cars there.

I do know that some years ago cars from Jersey came down the Valley to Roanoke, then went east to a landfill somewhere on the Norfolk Division. The current timetable lists Atlantic Waste Industrial Lead near Waverly, VA.

My guess is that they are going east to another landfill.

Actually, I saw the same cars that Gordon saw today. This was about 4:45 this evening, and they appeared to be on the head end of an eastbound, hanging east out of the Forwarding Yard at Park St.

Jeff Sanders