VGN 800

Thu Mar 10 18:06:30 EST 2011

Thanks, Harry, for this additional info. I had not seen the report, but I assumed that the 800 was typical of locos without a feedwater pump and had two injectors, one for the engineer and one for the fireman. An injector puts cold water (ignoring the steam used to operate it) into the boiler, so an engineer could use his injector in such a way as to make life tough for the fireman by killing steam pressure with cold water while keeping the throttle way open.

Gordon Hamilton
Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2011 2:28 PM
Subject: Re: VGN 800

Gordon:
I wouldn't know an injector from a projector, but the report doesn't
indicate whether or not the 800's injectors had been replaced. It
only states that "the locomotive was equipped with two Sellers
non-lifting injectors, located on the right and left sides, type K-2
13.8, rated capacity of each - 6,900 gals. per hour," and that the
left injector was tested on locomotive 805. When the water
valve was opened one turn (as it was found following explosion), it
delivered the same volume of water as when the water valve was
wide open (three turns).

The interior of the auxiliary water car, a rebuilt locomotive tender,
was found to be clean and in good condition.
Harry Bundy