N&W Blue ad naseum

Sat Mar 19 14:10:48 EDT 2011

My point is that I feel all this talk is at best conjecture. New C&O units were delivered with yellow ends until 1967 IIRC. N&W Blue and C&O blue are not the same shade, at least as I remember it (C&O acrylic blue was EMD # 8443315 according to a C&O SD40 paint diagram). N&W went back to black in early 1970, about a year before the talks were "officially" terminated.

I think the common scheme idea would have been more compelling if all three roads adopted identical schemes (including color!) with the same font on the hoods, logos and numbers on the cab sides, and logo/emblems on the ends. Instead C&O continued to paint the short hood yellow for a few years, and the lettering was not all a "common scheme". C&O units also had the sills painted yellow, as did the B&O units of the same era. We all know that N&W did not paint the sills yellow.

I never did mention cabooses, so I'll leave that for someone else ;-)

Now if someone could actually prove that the two blues are the same, I'd go for this idea!

Mark Peele