[STMFC] Re: Tennessee Central-Rebuilt USRA 3-Bay Hoppers.

Tue Mar 22 23:25:54 EDT 2011

I can't claim to be a guru by any stretch of the imagination, but...these
are the VGN H-5 70 ton cars built to a USRA/ARA (I get confused)design. The
original design was used by NYC, C&O, and VGN, and had two sawtooth
discharge chutes and a center clamshell. All three railroads rebuilt these
cars into the three sawtooth chute version. I believe that C&O's were
rebuilt with peaked or arch ends. (Al; help!!). Other than the High
Capacity Gons, these were the largest coal carrying cars on the VGN until
the H-14 70ton triples came in the mid fifties. There were two of them left
on the Virginian at the time of the N&W merger(per Dow). When I did the
Virginian Coal Cars clinic I put out a request for any pix of these in
Virginian livery as rebuilt. A pic of one of the cars on the TC is the only
one that has surfaced to far.

There is a pretty good picture of one of these in the as built clamshell
version in Hundman's article on the High Capacity gons in one of the last
issues of Mainline Modeler.

With some work the Westerfield NYC (PMckY??)models of either version can be
made into a VGN model.

Correction or supplementation of the above is welcome, as always.

Frank Bongiovanni