Roanoke Rail Day - May 14

Wed May 11 11:49:20 EDT 2011

Fran Ferguson at the Virginia Museum of Transportation is looking for volunteers to be guides in the cabs of the 611 and the 1218 for Rail Day this Saturday, May 14, during the period 9:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. She wants a guide in each cab at all times if the Plexiglas partitions that normally prevent access to the cab seats and controls are removed that day.

I have volunteered to be a guide, but so far I am the only one to do so. I'll need some relief during the day, so I hope that someone else will volunteer for at least part of that time. If we only have enough volunteers to staff one locomotive, I recommend that it be the 611 because the firebox is more complete for people to see how it and the grates are arranged.

If you can help out, please contact Fran at: fferguson at vmt.org
with copy to me at gordonshamilton at cox.net.

Thanks,

Gordon Hamilton
Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 10:35 PM
Subject: Roanoke Rail Day - May 14

Mark your calendars for Roanoke Rail Day, May 14!

Roanoke's rail museums are teaming up for Roanoke Rail Day on May 14 and offering a supersized day of fun for train fans of all ages.

This rail heritage celebration is held jointly with the O. Winston Link Museum. The day will feature special Norfolk Southern rail equipment including the NS Exhibit Car and a locomotive simulator; model trains; rides; kids' activities; blacksmithing, and more. The Archives of the Norfolk & Western Historical Society will also be open.

Special daylong activities at the Virginia Museum of Transportation include caboose rides by the Roanoke Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society using two of the chapter's historic, restored operating engines. In addition to the Chapter's EMD GP30 #522 and Alco T6 #41 locomotives, the Chapter is also bringing baggage/tool car #1407, and caboose #518409.

The Roanoke Chapter NRHS moves its equipment to the Museum to offer rides on Roanoke Rail Day!

Learn about the history and operations of Norfolk Southern by touring the NS Exhibit Car. Visitors can meet Andy Fletcher, the Museum's rail artist in residence, and enjoy models by the Roanoke Valley Chapter of the International Plastic Modeler's Society. From 10am to 2pm, there will be blacksmithing demonstrations in the Rail Yard and the Roanoke Valley Model Engineers will hold an Open House of their N, HO, and ON3 layouts. Children can paint a wooden train car or decorate a 611 cut-out from 11am to 4pm. Admission for the day is $8.50/adults, $7.50/seniors, and $6.50/children which includes Roanoke City admissions tax and all the special activities. Members get in free!

The Virginia Museum of Transportation is loaning the "Rectifier", an unusual Virginian EL-C 135 electric locomotive to the O. Winston Link Museum to serve as the centerpiece of the Link Museum's celebration.

From 10am to 2 pm, the O. Winston Link Museum will feature the Virginian Railway 135, 1/8 scale train rides, telegraphy demonstrations, antique model trains, railroad photography, slideshows, children's activities, face painting, food and beverages, a photobooth and more. That evening, the Link Museum will hold a night photo shoot. $50 per person. Reservations are required: call 540-982-5465 for more information.

In addition, The James N. Gillum Archives of the Norfolk & Western Historical Society will be open 8am to 4pm. The Archives is a repository of documents covering over a century and a half of railroad history. These documents primarily include mechanical and engineering drawings and photographic images in many formats. There is no admission charge to visit the Archives.

Roanoke Rail Day is made possible by Norfolk Southern Corporation, Amsted, Kroger, Timken, Loram, Harsco, David and Susan Goode, xpedx, Star Headlight and Lantern, and Roanoke Gas; volunteers from the Norfolk & Western Historical Society and the Roanoke Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society; and media sponsors Wheeler Broadcasting and WDBJ-7.