Classic Trains Summer 2011 question

Thu May 12 14:46:58 EDT 2011

I'm speculating but I've seen many examples of tunnels on various
railroads through very minor hills that in never have been tunnels but
cuts had they had better earth moving capabilities back then. Earth
moving equipment in the 1800's prior to The War Between the States was
mules and wagons -- picks and shovels- and black powder. Tunnels
required less earth to be moved and as such were a less complicated
option than excavating a deep cut to get through a hill. Also the
clearances required weren't nearly what they are today so tunnels could
be much smaller. Lots of old tunnels have been day-lighted over the
years. I've attached a picture on what is now CSX but was originally
the Nashville, Chattanooga, and St Louis on Raccoon Mountain just west
of Chattanooga, TN. Hard to understand why they ever built a tunnel
here originally and obviously when the double tracked the railroad the
tunnel was bi-passed.

Ed Painter -- Narrows, VA living in Russellville, AR