Interstate

Fri May 13 17:50:01 EDT 2011

Ed,

Your mention of the 3 secondhand N&W Z1a's on the Interstate RR. reminds me of a story told to me by W. D. Emmons, general foreman of N&W's Durham shop when I worked there as a laborer the summer of 1952. Earlier in his N&W career Bill had been a special apprentice at Roanoke Shops when one of the ex-N&W Z1a's came in there for some routine work. He said that the shop people were amazed when they looked into the firebox and saw the crown sheet bowed down as a result of some previous overheating on the Interstate.

Gordon Hamilton
Sent: Friday, May 13, 2011 11:00 AM
Subject: RE: Interstate

This web site has information on Interstate steam locomotives (part of the site Dave identified). Of note are the 3 secondhand N&W Z-1a's. There are also former PRR and SRR locomotives. Interstate originated coal commonly went over the N&W to Norfolk (probably west too by way of the Dry Fork branch). I can remember strings of Interstate coal cars in N&W trains going through Giles County. From a modeling standpoint a bit of Interstate modeling is a nice compliment to modeling the N&W. As somewhat discussed in prior notes much of the Interstate is still productively in place. It's now a part of the Pocahontas Division of NS.

As a general note I see folks regularly asking questions about things that are easily accessible on the internet. Doing searches on the internet is very simple. If you've not done much of this I suggest that you do a bit of it. You will be amazed how much good information is out there on railroad subjects.

http://hobbystop.tripod.com/id66.html

Ed Painter - Narrows, VA living in Russellville, AR