N&W in 1911--Featured in ad

Mon May 16 10:30:54 EDT 2011

Mike,

I attended school from the third grade through high school in Princeton, where the Virginian used electric locomotives primarily. Bluefield was our big rival in sports, so we derisively call Bluefield "Cinder City."

Does that answer your question?

Gordon Hamilton
Sent: Monday, May 16, 2011 8:36 AM
Subject: Re: N&W in 1911--Featured in ad

"Clean Mountain Air" ad doesn't mention the hundred of steam engine movements per day. :-)

Which brings me to the real question: was Bluefield, or Williamson "smokey", or did the wind blow smoke away from town?
Mike Rector

Sent: Friday, May 13, 2011 8:16 PM
Subject: N&W in 1911--Featured in ad

Bluefield Daily Telegraph
September 22, 1911

[The following advertisement by the Bluefield newspaper is unusual because it features a profile of the N&W mainline between Norfolk and Columbus. It is best viewed full screen, and a transcription of the caption follows the image.]

EXAMINE THE ABOVE PROFILE. IT WILL SHOW YOU THAT BLUEFIELD IS THE HIGHEST
POINT ON THE LINE OF THE NORFOLK & WESTERN--A LOCATION ON THE MOUNTAIN TO
WHERE GOOD, PURE AIR BRINGS HEALTH AND HAPPINESS. BLUEFIELD OFFERS MANY CHANCES
FOR THE ENTERPRISING AND ADVANTAGES TO THE HOME-SEEKERS--GOOD SCHOOLS, ALL MOD-
ERN CITY-LIFE FACILITIES--BUT STILL CLOSE TO THE MOUNTAINS AND NATURE. MAKE INQUIR-
IES OF THE DAILY TELEGRAPH, BLUEFIELD, W. VA., AND ALL QUESTIONS WILL BE PROMPTLY
ANSWERED.

Gordon Hamilton