Express Boxcar

Mon May 23 10:01:48 EDT 2011

In the Norfolk and Western Passenger Service 1946-1971 book by Warden
revised by Miller there is a picture on pages 74 & 75 that shows the Pelican
in Bristol, VA in 1956 with, what appears to me, to be a B-8 box car
immediately behind the locomotive. The picture gives a fairly good view of
the side of the car.

Skip Sledge

In a message dated May 22 Dave Phelps wrote:
Jim:

Yes, as you noted earlier in this thread, the five B-8a's with their cushion
underframe were used in LCL service. As to B-8's in passenger mail storage
service, N&W apparently did prepare the drawing
Type Drawing Locator NW Mech Dwg - NW-D45856 Description Steel Details
for Box Car Class B8 for Temporary Mail Storage Car Date 10/23/1953 Author
N&W Railway that's in the NWHS archives. Of course, whether the
conversion(s) were actually done, or were applied to some BSb's instead, I
certainly don't know. Hopefully others may.

Dave Phelps

In a message dated 5/22/2011 9:52:52 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,