VGN Norfolk Division assignment bulletins- caboose assignments

Thu Aug 4 12:20:20 EDT 2011

Any help with this question from Tim - Gary Rolih INFO at N&WHS

Subject: VGN Norfolk Division assignment bulletins

A friend asked if I could find out the number of the Virginian caboose used
by an ancestor, George McLaughlin (June 17, 1890 - December
18, 1944), who was a conductor on the Virginian and apparently worked out
of Victoria, VA. According to the story that has been told, he had his own
caboose assigned, and my friend would like to know the number of that
caboose. She writes, "I want to make a quilted wall hanging of a caboose
for [my husband] as a surprise and would love to put the number on the wall
hanging."

As for ol' George McLaughlin, he died in 1944 a heart attack while walking
to work one morning.

I posted the question to the Virginian Railway Enthusiasts Yahoo Group and
a fellow named Tom provided the following answer: "Caboose assignments can
be found on assignment bulletins for conductors/brakemen. The bulletins
listed the regular runs,it's assigned crew and caboose. Each division,
Norfolk and New River, had its own bulletin. I do not have any for the
Norfolk Division on which Victoria was located."

Do you have the Norfolk Division assignment bulletins that might hold the
answer to this question?

Tim Moriarty