More - NS Hagerstown - NIMBY

Fri Aug 5 10:37:54 EDT 2011

This discussion about an intermodal terminal is but a small example of what has destroyed American Industry:

· Very High corporate taxes by world standards

· Ludicrous and unrealistic EPA Regulations

· A Dept of Entergy with regulations and policies from la-la land (this Dept didn’t even exist prior to Jimmy Carter)

· OSHA standards that go above and beyond anything needed to maintain true industrial safety

· Lawyers with clients willing to sue over anything and everything they think they can make a greedy dollar from

· Special interest groups (save the fish, save the caribou, save the birds) putting up obstacles at every attempt to redevelop industry in America or maintain what we have left

The list could go on. The result is crystal clear; the Federal Government and court system discourages doing business in America and drives it overseas where companies don’t have to put-up with such “stuff”. We can be responsible in managing the environment along with public and employee safety without destroying American business and industry…..and we can maintain and create new JOBS…...but only when we become realistic about regulation and taxes.

What’s amazing is that people wonder why the unemployment rate is above 9% with no relief in sight.

I toured Hoover Dam last week. As I watched the videos explaining how the project was developed and built and toured the amazing facility. I couldn’t help but think that in today’s America the project would have never happened or if it did how many additional years it would take to complete along with all the added costs it would incur……… and we wonder why the unemployment rate nationally is above 9% and business is going overseas. You don’t need a PhD in Economics to understand the reasons.

We can’t have your cake and eat it too!

Ed Painter - Narrows, VA