More - NS Hagerstown - NIMBY

Fri Aug 5 22:07:21 EDT 2011

Sent: Friday, August 05, 2011 10:38 AM
To: NW Mailing List
Subject: RE: More - NS Hagerstown - NIMBY

This discussion about an intermodal terminal is but a small example of what has destroyed American Industry:

· Very High corporate taxes by world standards

Ed, I agree with all your points but this one. True the corporate tax rate number is higher, but our corporations are allowed tax deductions that other corporations are not allowed to take. Also U.S. corporations do not have to pay taxes on certain items, such as appreciation of inventory, etc, that foreign corporations pay big money for. The “actual” corporate tax rates are really pretty close. If our rate was much higher than the rest of the world, how long to do think ExxonMobil would be a US corporation.

Anyway Hagerstown made a mistake by opposing the terminal, and I hope Montgomery County does not follow their lead.

Mason Cooper