Montvale-Pamplin Double Track

Wed Oct 12 18:46:03 EDT 2011

Thanks for all the information, Harry. I should have clarified Montvale to Forest and Concord to Pamplin.

Jeff Hawkins

Sent: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 8:40 AM
Subject: Re: Montvale-Pamplin Double Track

When was the double track removed between Montvale and Pamplin? Was this accomplished in one single project or in various phases over time?

Jeff Hawkins

www.railsinvirginia.com
www.railfirephotography.com

Jeff- The only firm date I can give you is May 28, 1980. ICC authorized abandonment from Mile Post N-195.98 to Mile Post 201.18. If you consider the Old Main Line and the Lynchburg Belt Line to be double track, this part was on the Old Line between Leptic and a quarry east of the James River. Between Concord and the quarry, the track had already been retired. Then there's 03/30/65. This was the date No. 92 collided with a westbound hopper train entering the double track at Montvale (MP N-239), so the single-tracking had started sometime between 1961 and that date. Kinda interesting, but as the Old Line became fragmented -first between Ito and Durham Jct., N&W rerouted passenger trains to the Belt Line and built a depot at Kinney Yard. Prior to that time, the passenger stop at Lynchburg was at Union Station, which at one time jointly served C&O. Although the employee timetable recognized the stop as "Kinney ("Lybg. Pass. Sta."), the public timetables showed "U. Sta." Harry Bundy