Tr. 17 Consist & Tr. 51 Delay Report, BD Bristol, 9-7-1964

Sun Jan 22 22:48:13 EST 2012

I just remembered a good story about Engineman Bill Brickey...

One day in the mid- 1960s, there was a small fire in the Roanoke passenger station, and a good deal of smoke filled the main floor.  Cinder Dick Joe Byrum was sent over to man the front door and keep people from entering the station.

Bill Brickey was to be the Engineman on Train 45 that afternoon and showed up at the front door.  Joe Byrum didn't know him and wouldn't let him in.  "If you're an Engineer, show me your switch key ."  Bill Brickey couldn't produce one.  "Well, if you're an Engineer, surely you have a Timetable ?"  Bill Brickey couldn't produce one of those either.  "How about a  Rule Book?"  Nope, didn't have that either...

Finally Bill said, "Boss, if No. 45 is gonna leave town today, you'd better let me in that door!"  After a bit of thought,  Joe let him in.

-- abram burnett