Double headed J's?

Tue Feb 7 15:19:02 EST 2012

The Cincinnati RR Club has a single photo of two J's double-heading the
ARROW past Clare yard. Based on my research, I have photos of two K-2's,
two J's, A and J and A and K-2 eastbound out of Cincinnati. The schedule
was set up so that an engine arriving at CUT could be serviced and set off
as protection power for the next passenger train going east. This engine
would then power the next train east.

There are no known photos of doubling passenger trains westbound to
Cincinnati; this would be quite unlikely as the 'normal' train consist of
the Pocahontas, Arrow or Cavalier wouldn't require this- although there were
a bunch of second sections of the Cavalier in heavy mail times, particularly
eastward. The trains of the double-headed eastbound trains is NEVER more
than that which a single engine could handle with ease.

It would seem that N&W power dispatching was well aware of the reliability
of the J's and rebuilt K-2's so that they would send the protection power
engine back east early in a double-head move.

Class A's were common on the Peavine as they were the power for the time
freights 85/86, 77/78 and lots of the 94/99 trains as indicated by employee
time book records with Y-5's mostly holding down the coal extras and many of
the heavy freights on 94/99. It is not known if the returned Class A
engines were brought over as freight engines and doubled on to the passenger
train eastward or were brought into CUT as passenger power. One photo I
have shows an A and a J at the CUT platforms.

I cannot speak as to the power on baseball specials or any other special
train in or out of CUT.

I would propose that the double-headed passenger trains lost one engine at
Portsmouth, Ohio upon its arrival.

Gary Rolih

Cincinnati