Double headed J's

Wed Feb 8 23:10:04 EST 2012

*I've noted this before and here will be brief. When the double-J with
Ike got to Bedford, east of Roanoke, it just flew through town, with Ike
on the speeding train waving from the rear platform, all right, but
unaware, surely, that this was the little town, home to A Company, 116th
Regiment, 29th Infantry Division, that lost nineteen of its sons in
D-Day's first invasion wave, in the wake of which the Army acted to
revoke the policy permitting combat units substantially to be composed
of soldiers hailing from a single locality. On that September day
Company A survivors and hundreds from around the county had gathered at
the station fully anticipating that Ike would stop to honor Bedford's
sacrifice. A bittersweet moment, although Bedford, to be sure, should
have alerted Ike's campaign of the signal opportunity for words from the
former European Theater commander, now candidate for the White House.

At the time I was away at college, but would hear accounts of the "red
streak" story for years to follow.

Frank Gibson*