Whence the Name "KUMIS" ?

Wed Feb 22 21:51:01 EST 2012

While making no claim to insights about the name Kumis, I can offer that after forty years of living in Montgomery County, I have never heard the "locals" use the name, have never seen it in the newspaper, and never seen it on maps or road signs. The community near there is Lafayette. The name Kumis appears a railroad related name only.

Ray Smoot

Good idea. Troutville was named after the Trout family. There are no trout streams here!

Thanks,

Richard D. Shell
Troutville, VA

A quick Internet search turned up 4 people with a surname of Kumis. Not
exactly common, but it is used. So I wouldn't discard that as a possible
source.

You could check the Census records for the relevant time period to see
if there were any Kumis family members living in the area. It was not
unusual to name places on the railroad after families who lived nearby.

Ed