Whence the Name "KUMIS" ?

Thu Feb 23 11:57:41 EST 2012

While making no claim to insights about the name Kumis, I can offer that
after forty years of living in Montgomery County, I have never heard the
"locals" use the name, have never seen it in the newspaper, and never seen it
on maps or road signs. The community near there is Lafayette. The name
Kumis appears a railroad related name only.

Railroads often identified locations by railroad-related names e.g. Page,
WV for W.N. Page.
Or Adsit for VGN's Traffic Manager ? Plunkett for W. C. Plunkett, a
barrister for the VGN ?
Don't know that VGN ever had an officer named Kumis. Perhaps he was
on VGN's Bored
of Directors. Some railroad locations were identified by local
industries, e.g. Mabrico on
the Winston District for MAdison BRIck CO.. The "MI" in Kumis may have
reference to a mine.

Virginian apparently had the foresight not to name it La Fayette (as
it appeared in early
timetables). In repeating train orders, locations are pronounced
then spelled. Kumis was
certainly shorter (by four alphas). On the Southern, think how much
time was spent spelling
Charlottesville.
Harry Bundy