N&W in 1912--Welch station

Mon Mar 19 09:37:14 EDT 2012

Possibly there is one in Records of the Interstate Commerce Commission (RG
134), valuation records for Class I railroads, circa 1910-1920, at the
National Archives facility in College Park, MD. Records of the N&W are
especially rich in station photos from that period, all in black/white.

J. Kelling

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 12:50 PM, NW Mailing List
<nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org>wrote:

> **

> *I would like to see a photo of the Welch station complex described

> herein. Where can I find one ?*

> **

> *Neil K. Yerger*

> **

> *audreyly at aol.com*

> In a message dated 3/16/2012 12:03:25 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

> Bluefield Daily Telegraph

> Wed., April 10, 1912

> WELCH NEWS NOTES

> ------

> *STATION NEARS COMPLETION*

> ------

> *Is Most Up-to-date to be Found Between Kenova and Roanoke*

> The handsome brick Norfolk and Western Railway station at this place

> is just nearing completion and occupancy being taken of the building. The

> freight station is annexed to the passenger station, which has been

> completed a number of months. The construction work of these buildings has

> been under supervision of John P. Pettyjohn & Company, of Lynchburg, with

> V. 0. Stuart acting as superintendent. When the disastrous fire visited

> Welch about a year ago, the Norfolk and Western station had a narrow escape

> from being destroyed, and the old building then standing was a very

> inferior station for a place the size of Welch. The members of the board of

> trade appealed to the officials of the railroad company to build at this

> place a Station creditable to the town, which request was granted, and work

> immediately begun. The building put up is a handsome brick structure,

> and is the most up-to-date depot to be found between Kenova and Roanoke.

> Every consideration looking forward to the convenience of the travelers

> boarding trains at Welch was considered, and it speaks highly of the

> Norfolk and Western to have supplied such a nice passenger and freight

> station at Welch. The new freight station, just finished, is amply large to

> conveniently and easily handle all freight coming in and going out; well

> built docks to truck freight to and from the cars make it an easy matter to

> dispose of all incoming and outgoing freight, and the freight agent, R. H.

> Miller, under whom is his efficient cashier, W. W. Wood, has a well trained

> force of men to serve the public and take care of their interest.

> ------

> Gordon Hamilton

JK