Lee Alley gone

Sat Mar 24 09:09:06 EDT 2012

I note with sadness that Lee Alley died on Thursday, Mar. 22nd. Lee of the
portable steam whistles fame. He used compressed air of course, but the
sound was just as memorable. My wife and I went up to Green Cove a few
years ago were he was scheduled to demonstrate. There was a good crowd but
Lee was not there yet. Then, from the distance, through the trees to the
west, we could hear that distinctive wail as his pick-up tuck pulling the
trailer with the compressor and whistles came toward us on the road
parallel to the Creeper Trail. It was a haunting, never to be forgotten
performance. Many thanks, Lee. You will be remembered for a long, long time.

Mike Pierry, Jr.