Setting the history record straight

Wed Mar 28 17:27:56 EDT 2012

On Mar 28, 2012, at 1:23 PM, NW Mailing List wrote:

> Historians,

> As we all know, the surviving rail corporation is Norfolk Southern, aka NS.

> Was or was not the rail company of many years ago known as Norfolk & Southern, aka N&S ???

No this was/is not the same company. The old Norfolk Southern that ran from Norfolk, Va to Charlotte, NC was bought/ merged into the Southern in 1974 as a separate subsidiary. Whence at the time of the merger of the Southern and the Norfolk & Western in 1982 all Southern locomotives sub-lettered NS were relettered CRN for the Carolina & Northwestern as the Norfolk Southern was merged into this Southern subsidiary. The purpose of this was the old Norfolk Southern had to cease to exist as a company and/or corporation so that the new company formed from the merger of the Southern and Norfolk & Western could use the name Norfolk Southern. There was one interim name for the new company when the filing for merger went to the STB but I cannot remember that name. The name Norfolk & Southern might have been that interim name.

James Wall
Winston Salem NC