N&W Pullman 4137 ?

Wed Mar 28 19:14:00 EDT 2012

Well, the short answer would appear to be that the note does not belong with the plate. The only Budd built cars on the N&W were the S1 class 10/6 sleepers, all named for counties and colleges along the line. They were delivered new to N&W in 1949/1950, and there are no records of any of them being destroyed. N&W did not own a car of any type named "Norfolk Pride".

Futhermore, I can find no records of any passenger car, from any builder, for any railroad, named "Norfolk Pride." There was a heavyweight Pullman lounge named "Norfolk County" that saw service on N&W, and Seaboard Air Line and Chicago & North Western each owned cars named "Norfolk." Perhaps the car was a private car?

You might try looking up the Horseshoe Curve Inn, or contacting the B&O or Western Maryland societies, as they served Cumberland. I would have to say that the note and the plate have little or nothing to do with each other, and the content of the note itself is questionable.

Marty Flick

Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 10:26 PM
Subject: N&W Pullman 4137 ?

Attached are three scans merged into one PDF, detailing something that I picked up three decades ago at a railroad show. It is a Budd builders plate reading “Designed & Built for Norfolk and Western Railway Company by Budd.” The plate is of polished stainless steel and measures 2.75 x 6”.

Taped to the back of the plate is a business card on the back of which is written: “May 1950. Plate taken from N&W wrecked Pullman & reserved compartment car at Cumberland Maryland Yard. #4137, Norfolk Pride.”

Five or six years ago I posted to the N&W List a query concerning this item, and the response I received was something along the lines of “No such car.”

Tonight I’m at last ready to mount the plate with some similar items and thought it might be productive to pose the question again. Does anyone have information about the car from which this item may have been removed?

n abram burnett