N&W Pullman 4137 ?

Thu Mar 29 08:59:03 EDT 2012

I concur with Jim Nichols' and Marty Flick's posts on this subject.  To the best of my knowledge and information:

1.  N&W did not number the S-1 sleepers (or any other of the named sleepers AFAIK)

2.  I have no information regarding any of the S-1 sleepers being wrecked (and scrapped)

3.  None of the S-1 sleepers were named Norfolk Pride.

4.  I have no record of an N&W passenger car numbered 4137.

Marty has indicated he could find no record of any car named "Norfolk Pride."  I will defer to him on that because I have not researched other roads' passenger equipment to any great extent.  I do know there are some books and other resources on this topic but I do not own those (Ralph Barger authored at least one, possibly more, books about Pullmans several years ago.)

So I think we are dealing with two separate items here; the builders plate certainly appears to be legitimate.  The handwritten note appears to be suspect.

Jim Brewer

Glenwood MD

Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 11:16:57 PM
Subject: Re: N&W Pullman 4137 ?

Assuming for the purposes of discussion that there is at least a grain of truth somewhere in this, the number 4137 could only be the Budd builder's number.  I tried to Google that in case a list of Budd builder's numbers was posted, but apparently not.  If anyone has access to those archives, that might shed some light.  Or, maybe those numbers are cross-referenced on an N&W drawing in the Archives.  If there's no connection there (that builder's number isn't one of the N&W Budd-built sleepers, or it's a bad number) then we clearly default to Jim's analysis.

Dave Phelps

Abram: The number 4137 is meaningless for an N&W passenger car (or Pullman). The date of May 1950 was less than a year after the Budd cars were delivered, and I have no record of any N&W Budd car being wrecked that early (especially wrecked enough to justify loss of a builders plate). I remember the last time you asked about it on the list. The plate could be legitimate (I never saw one on the 20 sleepers Budd built for N&W, but that doesn't mean they weren't there!). But the information on the business card doesn't make any sense. Some of these cars are silll running on the S.A.M. Shortline out of Cordelle, GA. Maybe somebody can examine them to see if any of them still have such a plate somewhere. But 4137? No!

Jim Nichols

Sent: Tue, March 27, 2012 9:45:05 PM

Pardon me, but I attached the wrong file to my earlier post.  Here is the correct file, a PDF which depicts the plate as well as the front and back of the business card attached to it.

-- abram burnett