N&W Pullman 4137 ?

Fri Mar 30 08:41:35 EDT 2012

A number of these cars are still around. To my knowledge, the only Budd built cars N&W ever acquired were the S1 sleepers, hence the engraving on the plate.

Now, unless I am totally wrong, the major passenger car manufacturers, Pullman-Standard and Budd, did not assign a serial or builder's number to individual cars, therefore, there is no such thing as a "builder's plate" in the steam or diesel locomotive terms, which contains the built date, location, and a construction number.

These plates were simply id plates to identify the maker and the road they were made for. Thusly, the 4137 is not going to be engraved on the plate, no matter what. I have not had time to research it, but passenger car makers used what are called "lot numbers" building cars in a lot for an individual order. I do not know if this is the lot number for the N&W order, but should be fairly easy to find, it would only identify the entire order of the cars, which I think was 20 cars, if it indeed is the lot number, it might be a number someone thought was a lot number, a lot of older notes are not historically accurate.

Budd used a plate exactly like this on Amfleet coaches, they were usually located above the end door of the car, on the vestibule end. Pullman-Standard also had an id plate, that just stated the car was built by Pullman-Standard, I don't remember exactly where they were located, but the same location would be a distinct possibility, or on the inside of the car over one of the end doors.

Ken Miller