N&W Manual Blocking Procedures

Thu Apr 12 11:35:12 EDT 2012

As I understand in this situation, the Manual Block Signal is the Train
Order Signal and must display the Stop indication to pick up orders and the
Clearance Card. All else being normal and block clear, the train proceeds
to the meet/pass at an appropriate speed per the instructions on the orders.

Grant Carpenter

Manual Block procedures, but here goes...

> The Clearance Card, N&W Form CT-37 1/2 (revision of 2-1-1941,) which was

still in use when I hired in 1964, has a curious final line, which leads me
to question how the N&W handled the manual blocking of trains in territory
where Time Table/Train Order was the method operation, and on which the
Manual Block System had been superimposed as a second level of protection.

> I'll attach a scan of that Clearance Card.? The last line on the card is

a fill-in-the-blanks line reading:? "Signal is displayed for ___ and ___ to
meet (or pass) as per Order No. ___.? Except as stated, Block is clear."

> This line was obviously provided for a situation where trains meet (or

pass) at a "blind siding" (no open Train Order Office.)

> This raises the immediate question:? When a train received a Clearance

Card with this line filled out, what was done with the Manual Block
Signal?? Was it held at Stop, or raised to Permissive, or raised to Clear??
And furthermore, if the signal was held at Stop or displayed at Permissive,
at what speed did the train proceed to the meeting/passing point?

> Unfortunately, I never worked over any N&W territory where the method of

operation was Time Table/Train Order + Manual Block System.? And I don't
think I've ever seen the situation addressed in any of the old rule books.