Heritage Unit Photos

Tue Apr 24 10:44:51 EDT 2012

N&W Blue (Herman Pevler's Wabash inspired blue) has the same issues that are always so amusing to discuss with N&W Red. I lived in Ohio during the 1970's and shot thousands of N&W roster shots getting to within 200 units of having the entire N&W roster on 35mm slides. N&W Blue much like the N&W Red varied in its' shade...... and with dirt and weathering and light conditions there came additional variations. The EMD units such as the GP-40's, SD-40's, and SD-45's seemed darker than the GE 1900 series U-28b's and U-30b's. With time, repainted former-NKP GP-9's and 7's became very light in shade. The N&W ES44AC looks to be well within the spectrum of N&W blues that I have seen and still have within my slide collection.

Ed Painter - Narrows, VA living in Russellville, AR (for 10 months and 1 week longer prior to retiring and moving to North Georgia)