A question about J whistles

Thu May 31 00:14:36 EDT 2012

Inasmuch as the streamlined K2's and K2a's kept their passenger whistles
when some of them were in mixed and local freight service, it is obvious that
N&W saw no reason to change whistles. Anyway, the J1's were "freight" engines
only on paper to satisfy the WPB. They were built to pull passenger trains, and
presumably had passengr whistles as built.

Jim Nichols

Sent: Wed, May 30, 2012 3:59:20 PM
Subject: Re: A question about J whistles

Others can comment if I'm off the track there, but I know of no record
indicating that the J/J1's were equipped with freight whistles at any time
during their service lives.  Similarly, I've seen no indication that an A was
equipped with a 3-chime passenger whistle.

Dave Stephenson