Trains, Ties, VGN Historical Article

Wed Jun 13 16:20:05 EDT 2012

This showed up in my Twitter feed, from the Lynchburg paper about a program
on the Virginia Blue Ridge Railroad this coming Sunday (June 17) over in
Nelson County. "The event, co-sponsored by the Nelson County Historical
Society and the Massies Mill Ruritan Club, will feature a presentation from
Ed Fielding, a retired Brookville High School teacher and railroad
enthusiast. The event also will feature former employees sharing their
experiences, and artifacts will be on view." See the article from the News
& Advance at http://tinyurl.com/cteosgj or
http://www2.newsadvance.com/news/2012/jun/11/nelson-county-presentation-cover-railroads-history-ar-1979649/?referer=None&shorturl=http://bit.ly/MB9RGi

I caught a quick glimpse on Sunday while passing over the tracks at Kumis
on U.S. 460 of new wooden ties along the Virginian. I was with family, so
couldn't stop to check the exact placement, but could this be the end of
the concrete ties? Perhaps someone has some details about what will be
replaced and when the gang might get there. I did hear someone getting a
track-and-time permit this morning (Tuesday) from North Fork to Shelby
lasting until 6 p.m., so the old VGN must be getting some extensive work
done.

For those who need a blast from the past, I am gradually getting caught up
on those little projects that tend to pile up and get shuffled down the "to
do" list by other projects. I had checked out of the Virginia Tech library
some time ago a couple volumes of *Railway Gazette* magazine from the early
1900s with some Virginian news. I scanned them and that's as far as it got,
until recently when I went back and extracted the images and cleaned them
up a bit in Photoshop, then posted the whole thing to my website. See
http://www.brucebharper.info/nwrwy/Virginian/rrgazette3_13_08.html<http://www.brucebharper.info/nwrwy/Virginian/rrgazette3_13_08.html>for
the Railroad Gazette article from March 13, 1908, on "Station
Standards, Virginian Railway" with plans and elevations for its "rustic
combination stations" and more.

Bruce in Blacksburg
Webmaster, Frograil rail tours, http://www.frograil.com