VGN in 1912--Injury

Thu Jun 21 22:42:00 EDT 2012

Sinking creek starts in Craig County before entering Giles county. I actually had one of my students in Earth Science point this out to me,
one of the few things he was interested in.

Kurt S. Kramke

On 06/21/12, NW Mailing List wrote:

Bluefield Daily Telegraph
Fri., May 17,
1912

PRINCETON DAY BY DAY

------

Brakeman Nickle Injured

On Wednesday evening at Sinking Creek in Giles county, T. J.
Nickle, a brakeman, while on an engine on the Virginian railway,
slipped and fell, falling a distance of forty feet and suffering internal
injuries. He was brought to the Princeton Hospital Wednesday night and
will undergo a surgical operation. At the time of the accident, the engine
was standing on a bridge, Nickle falling from the engine under the bridge.
Strange to say there were no bones broken nor any outward wounds other than a
few small bruises.

------

[Topo maps show Sinking Creek flowing east to west in Giles
County, and true to its name sinks in the porous limestone near New
River. These maps show the mouth of Sinking Creek (or at least its
dry creek bed) located a mile or two west of Eggleston on New
River.]

Gordon
Hamilton