The J Will Run Again?

Mon Jul 9 22:01:40 EDT 2012

According to WDBJ (channel 7 in Roanoke), the 611 could roll on Norfolk
Southern rails again if someone ponies up some cash.

Built in 1950 and overhauled in the early 80s, the 611 last operated under
its own power in 1994. Transportation Museum Executive Director Bev
Fitzpatrick says it could happen again. "The Norfolk Southern has said
they will allow it to run on their rails," Fitzpatrick said in an
interview. "What we need is someone who would be able to get it fixed and
then pay for it to operate."

As far as I know, this is the first I've heard that NS was willing to let
the J put her drivers on its iron, but that doesn't mean that hasn't been
put out there already. Now all we need is a good estimate of what it would
cost to put her back into running condition. Based on what I saw posted
recently (here?) about the work being done to revive the 4501 (including
adding a stocker that it didn't have), it seems that it would have been
quicker and easier to work over the 611. It was in running condition when
it went into the museum and probably still had time on its boiler.

See <
http://www.wdbj7.com/news/wdbj7-rail-excursions-raise-hope-for-return-of-the-611-20120709,0,6720033.story>
or <http://tinyurl.com/cloulun> for the story.

Bruce in Blacksburg