VGN PAs (WAS: Jawn Henry tender numbers)

Sun Jul 22 23:38:34 EDT 2012

I plan to start with the Mehano USRA light Pacific. The drivers are a little too
tall, but overal, the chassis is fairly correct. Boiler needs to be a little
fatter than the one on the light USRA, but somebody has suggested shortening the
boiler from a USRA light Mountain. I happen to have one (left over from a
conversion of the Bachmann light 4-8-2 to a streamlined K2a) so I will give that
a try. No easy tender, but I will start with the shell from a Bachmann N&W aux.
tender, and use the Andrews trucks from the Mehano tender (and maybe the floor).

Mehano is the manufacturer, and their Pacific has been offered at various times
by Model Power and IHC (maybe others). The later IHC ones have flywheels.

If you are paticular about the driver size, your best option is the Bowser NYC
Pacific, but the valve gear is wrong and the metal boiler will be harder to work
with. I prefer the styrene parts in the Mehano, and I can live with the slight
difference in driver size.

Jim Nichols

________________________________
Sent: Sun, July 22, 2012 6:52:58 PM
Subject: Re: VGN PAs (WAS: Jawn Henry tender numbers)

Just curious; which production loco(s) would be a good basis for bashing into a
VGN PA?

Greg Harrod

In a message dated 7/22/2012 8:07:32 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org writes:
Okay, Frank, you talked me into it. No promises on when, but it is going to
happen.