Excursions

Mon Jul 30 08:48:53 EDT 2012

Mike

I think this is all a matter of personal preference. Both routes offer excellent scenery and a nice ride. It would depend on your specific interest in which division you'd prefer to ride.

Despite what one might think, we are somewhat limited in what we easily can offer out of Roanoke that actually offers much. We have to think of the general public which accounts for almost 90 percent of our ticket sales, railfans are a small minority of riders, so the more scenic ride or better destinations are the places to go. To me, the best ride we offer out of Roanoke is to Bluefield and back, a true flavor and picture of the N&W with great scenery. However, we've run it several years in a row, and we just did not have any luck selling it last year.

Sunday tickets are always harder to sell than Saturday but if the destination is not a good choice, it does not matter what day it is. We have a fairly limited sales market in the Roanoke and surrounding areas and have to cater to what will sell. These trips, in case anyone does not already realize, are amazingly costly to run.

Best
Ken Miller