Thu Aug 16 14:09:02 EDT 2012

Last night I had the pleasure of "Takin' Twenty" with 12 of the Brethren
and Friends of the Virginian Railway. The buzz of the night was the
delivery of the photo of the Brethren posing in front of the NS Virginian
Heritage unit #1069, that will now be a part of the new decor of the
Country Cookin' Restaurant where we meet weekly. The 20" X 30" framed photo
was "antiqued" with the sepia process, to match the other local photos used
in the restaurant's recent upgrade. To see several of the Brethren posing
with this photo in front of the restaurant to "Skip's Photos " on this
site. Left to right in the picture are: Yours Truly, Dr. Gibson Davis,
Raymond East, Ron Victory, Wis Sowder, Felix Price, Glen McLain and Landon
Gregory.

Operators who were Poindexter brothers, were "Red" (Melvyn), Billy Joe,
Tuck and Tom.

I got in inquiry through the N&W (and VGN) Historical Society, about a
Virginian Railway pass issued 12-31-1924 to Merchant Agent H. L. Price from
his grandson Howard L. Price of Norfolk, VA. I showed it to the Brethren
and found out several interesting facts. Firstly, the pass was only good
"Between Stations in Virginia". Secondly, the VGN had Agents who were
Operators, and Merchant Agents who handled local freight only. The Merchant
Agents did not have to be a qualified Operator, use the telegraph, issue
train orders, or take rules tests and had nothing to do with train
operations and worked only daylight shifts. Landon Gregory said that such
places as Aspen, Purdy and Smokey Ordinary had Merchant Agents only. He
recalls while working at Abilene,VA the Agent was Mureal Kiser. Kiser's
wife was also Merchant Agent at Meherrin, VA.

Passed around was the September 2012 "Trains" magazine. This issue covered
the Spencer NS Heritage locomotive event with "Smile and Say Cheese". The
Brethren noticed that the largest photo of an NS Heritage unit was that of
the VGN #1069 on page 16! (Does this mean that "Trains" gives the VGN the
prize?) Page 52 has an interesting question about the origin of the Norfolk
Southern logo and how it was developed into the Thoroughbred Horse as
official mascot. Mentioned in the answer is that the first animal
suggested, the armadillo, was ruled out quickly. This prompted me to
consider this: If the VGN RWY had survived, and if they had chosen to pick
an animal mascot such as NS, what animal would they have chosen?
Mule?...Buck Deer? What do your think?

The Jewel from the Past is from April 6, 2006: "Dwight Vivas gave me a
Norfolk Division VGN payroll book from 1957 several weeks ago for Slick,
and he passed it around. The Brethren all looked up their names and
discovered that most were doing OK back then. Greg Elam brought me a town
decal from Victoria, VA with the 342 (VGN Caboose) on it, and the Brethren
were impressed and glad that Victoria is trying to promote the Rail Park
this way by remembering the VGN."

We discussed our part in the upcoming "Virginian Railway Day" September 22,
2012 at the Virginia Museum of Transportation. Most of the Brethren will be
"manning" a table from 10:30AM until about 3PM to meet the public, and talk
about VGN artifacts on display. Plan to join us!

I told the Brethren about Phase I of the Virginian Station Restoration
being completed. The new roof is in place and the "old gal" is beginning to
really look like her 1910 self. Phase II, the interior, windows and doors,
parking and landscaping is being planned at this time.

Then there's this: A three year old walked over to a pregnant lady while
waiting with his mother in the doctor's office. He inquisitively asked the
lady, "Why is your stomach so big?" She replied, "I'm having a baby". With
big eyes, he asked, "Is the baby in your stomach?" She said, "He sure is".
Then the little boy, with a puzzled look, asked, "Is it a good baby?" She
said, "Oh, yes. It's a real good baby". With an even more surprised and
shocked look, he asked..."Then why did you eat him?"

Time to pull the pin on this one!

Departing Now from V248,

Skip Salmon

CDXXXIII