First St Bridge and Randolph St Tower

Tue Sep 11 22:02:05 EDT 2012

John,

Randolph Street Tower is located just west of the East End Shops
between Interstate-581 and the Williamson Road overpass.

JK Tower is south of the junction where the Winston-Salem line
crosses the throat of the (former Virginian) SouthYard.

The 2nd Street Bridge is beside the Virginia Museum of Transportation
was constructed in the 1990's.

I assume you are asking about the older 1st Street bridge. This
bridge was reconstructed in 2007 and converted to a pedestrian
bridge. The span over the tracks was raised to improve clearances
over the trains. The new span crosses almost the entire right-of-way,
so I do not expect any changes to the bridge will be necessary.

The CPLs located on the original bridge were moved to their own
structure before work on the bridge began.

I am attaching a photo taken during the reconstruction. You can see
the new CPL signal bridge on the left. The reconditioned original
stone piers can be seen in the middle. The new span can be seen on
the right, waiting to be lifted across the tracks by a crane that is
out of the picture right.

Ron Davis