Serial numbers on Virginian Railway lanterns

Wed Sep 26 19:06:35 EDT 2012

Greg,

That is a great story. I know it wasn't great  for your great-uncle J.B., but as a point of history, it is priceless!

Thanks for sharing,

Jeff S.

Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 11:22 PM
Subject: Re: Serial numbers on Virginian Railway lanterns

A great-uncle, J.B. Cummings, was a Virginian engineer and encouraged my granddad, W.R. Bloyd to leave Arkansas in 1923 and come to Victoria to work for the Virginian. According to Granddad, shortly after he and Grandma arrived in Victoria, J. B. lost a switch key and quit in a huff over the $8 fine. He and great-aunt Gaston left Victoria and he went to work for the Western Maryland in Elkins, WVA, and eventually wound up in Utah with the Union Pacific, from which he retired.

Greg Harrod
Things like lanterns, rule books, & switch keys, were signed for on lots of railroads. In some cases, if an employee lost a key, or lantern, he might be charged a small fee to get another one from the company.