Rebooting Steam

Mon Oct 8 19:34:01 EDT 2012

N&WHS:

I have been a member of N&WHS for almost 10 years now and am known by
several members. As VP and Treasurer of Sustainable Rail International/
Coalition for Sustainable Rail and a member of this group I am available at
jrhodes at csrail.org if you have any questions about what we are attempting
or would like to get involved. We are an R&D organization and not an
excursion or restoration group. We have some of the best and brightest in
the industry involved along with several railroaders.

Dave Phelps:
I am glad you made it to the ASME/IEEE presentation. If I may speak to a
few of your statements below. We didn't say we planned to make a steam
locomotive with the same Drawbar Thermal Efficiency as current diesels. We
said we planned to make a steam locomotive with lower fuel cost than a
current diesel in the same service, this is quite different along with
other objectives. Yes, I do understand microcreep and have for years. I
was caught off guard by the question since I had not put much thought into
its application in this situation. We are focusing on passenger rail only;
passenger trains are not heavy by any stretch of the imagination and I
don't think microcreep would be necessary but is worth investigation. As
to machinery speed, we are planning to use the Class J's 525 rpm as a
precedent, but also plan a lower piston speed than the J as well. The
fuel, torrified biomass, could be made from plant stalks but current
implementations use wood. We do not feel we have overlooked basic physical
and engineering fundamentals. I would suggest you investigate Modern
Steam, including Andre Chapelon of the SNCF and L.D. Porta of Argentina.
As stated earlier I welcome emails to those with more questions or who
would like to get involved.

Best Regards,

--
John Rhodes